Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11

Last night it occured to me that today was September 11. I saw something on the TV that triggered that realization and I thought to myself - if I hadn't seen that on TV, I don't think I would have even remembered. Unfortunately, life has taken over and it's amazing to think how my life has changed since that day. On one hand, I've become a stay-at-home mom to 3 kids since that fateful day 6 years ago. In fact, on September 13, 2001, we found out we were pregnant with Katherine. While so much has changed in my life, I still remember pretty vividly my feelings on that day. I remember walking into the office and within a few minutes they guy sitting in the cubicle next to me said "a plane hit the World Trade Center ". He was listening to the radio, as I had been in my car, and I thought it was odd that I hadn't heard anything - it turns out that it happened while I was walking from my car to the office. Events unfolded during the morning, as you all I'm sure remember, and people in my ofice periodically stopped working and came over to the TV (that was near my cubicle) to watch what was going on and to stand in horror and disbelief in front of that fuzzy little TV. I remember it like it was yesterday. At one point in the morning, after the Pentagon was hit, I remembered that my mom was in Washington DC. She traveled there frequently on business and I racked my brain to remember if she had told me where she was going that day - was she at the Pentagon? I couldn't remember. To make a long story (and a very agonizing morning) short, she was not at the Pentagon, but she was close by. She was one of those that week that had a hard time getting home because of the airport shut-downs and ended up having to rent a car (another LONG story!). She was definitely too close for comfort to the horrible events of the day, but I'm glad to say that I did not know anyone hurt or killed that day. It's still just amazing to me, when I think about it, how vividly I remember the events and emotions of that day and the days to follow, giving how much had gone on in my life since. Today I'm remembering those moments and praying for those who were personally touched by the events that day. I remember hearing about babies that were born in the several months following that would never know their daddies. Having found out that I was pregnant with Katherine just 2 days after 9/11, I put myself in the places of those women who would be giving birth and raising those babies without their husbands and fathers and I remember the tears that I shed for those women. Now those kids are in Kindergarten just like Katherine. Anyway, I've gone on way to long. I hope you have a good day and remember those that are still grieving their loved ones.

No comments: